AIEA UMC's History from 1900

  • 1900: Aiea Japanese Methodist Church established with 12 charter members. 
  • 1902: Dedication of the first church building at the site of what is now the Aiea Shopping Center. 
  • 1915: English language service introduced; Sunday school enrollment 60; membership 32. 
  • 1919: Filipino language work initiated. 
  • 1941: Laulima Street site is purchased from Honolulu Plantation for $1. Construction is underway when bombs fall on Dec. 7, 1941. 
  • 1942: New building on Laulima Street is dedicated. 
  • 1954: Aiea Community Church becomes self-supporting.
  • 1964: Church name is changed to Aiea Methodist Church. 
  • 1968: Construction of a new sanctuary begins. 
  • Oct. 1969: Consecration service is held for the new facilities. 
  • 1972: Church name is changed to Aiea United Methodist Church.
  • 1975: Aiea Korean UMC begins sharing sanctuary & facilities. 
  • 1987: Ministry to Institute for Human Services (IHS) started. It continues today.
  • 1997: Samoan language minister, Joseph Siofele, is appointed. 
  • 2000: Centennial celebration. (photo shown is the original bell from our church's bell tower)