Dear AUMC Ohana,
By now, most of you have heard of Mayor Blangiardi's Emergency Order 2021-10. You may have some questions as to whether this Emergency Order will affect AUMC's in-person Sunday Worship Service. To better help you make a fully informed decision on whether to attend an in-person service, I am writing you this message. Please consider the following points:
- The Emergency Order does not prohibit churches from gathering for in-person worship. For worship services, the maximum number of people allowed per family/household/group to sit together without having to socially distance is capped at 10. Therefore, AUMC may continue to hold indoor/in-person worship as long as social distancing is observed between groups.
- AUMC will continue to practice the following safety measures so that we can protect one another from potential infection:
- MASKS - Masks will be worn at all times when on campus. Masks must cover both the nose and mouth.
- DISTANCING - We will ask that people maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from other non-family members. If directed to a specific seat by the ushers, we ask that you stay in that seat for the duration of the service.
- CHECK-IN, TEMP-CHECK, AND HAND SANITIZING - All attendees will check in at the usher's desk where we will take your temperature and ask if you have any symptoms (fever, cough, body aches, loss of taste or smell).
- All doors and louver windows in the sanctuary will remain open throughout the entire service for maximum ventilation. Also, the service itself will end in under an hour. We hope that this will further mitigate any risks associated with community spread.
- It is important to note that, to our knowledge, AUMC's Sunday service has not contributed to any case of community spread of the coronavirus. Furthermore, according to the latest "cluster report" released by the Hawaii Dept of Health, there are no known cases of community spread due to any religious services (you can see the report by clicking here: Cluster Report, August 19, 2021)
If you have any worries or concerns about attending in-person service, please know that we are offering our services via LiveStream on YouTube. You are encouraged to stay home if you feel that this is the best decision for you and your family. Our church family went through 15 months of online-exclusive worship and I believe that we have the resilience to go back to virtual worship for a few more weeks. At the same time, if you decide to attend our in-person service, please know that we are doing everything we can to ensure a safe and meaningful worship service.
The AUMC Covid-19 Task Force will meet this Sunday, August 29 to discuss safety measures in relation to our monthly joint worship service with our Samoan congregation as well as the potential re-opening of our Nursery. If you have any concerns or questions you would like the Task Force to address, please don't hesitate to contact us. You can do this by sending those concerns/questions to my email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate your kokua, beloved AUMC Ohana. Whether we worship at home or on the AUMC campus, may the Lord continue to bind our hearts and minds together in love so that we will be the body of Christ to a world that is in need of good news. I humbly ask for your continued prayers as we navigate these challenging times.
Grace and Aloha,
Aiea United Methodist Church is a Christ-centered, family-oriented, faith community church in Aiea, on the island of Oahu, in the beautiful state of Hawaii. At Aiea UMC, we are committed to knowing, loving, and serving God as we serve our local Hawaii folks and military families based on Oahu.
If you are searching for a local home church on Oahu, we hope you'll consider Aiea UMC. We are a diverse congregation: our fellowship includes both local Hawaii residents, as well as military families. We also have a Samoan language ministry, and combine our worship at least once a month. Please come visit us and consider making Aiea UMC your home church. We'd love to welcome you as part of our family!
At Aiea United Methodist Church, our PURPOSE is knowing, loving & serving God.
Our JOURNEY calls us to build a life-changing community that follows Jesus through worship, relationships, spiritual growth and service.